Accident Lawyer Port Moody
The term “accident” implies an unfortunate, unforeseen event; however, the majority of these events occur because someone was negligent and did not act with a degree of care that others would under the same circumstances. A victim may suffer severely as a result of negligence in terms of physical pain, financial impacts, and other anguish.
If you are hurt in an accident due to negligent acts, it is important to understand your rights and retain experienced, dedicated legal help in enforcing them. With the help of our accident lawyers at the Preszler Injury Lawyers, you can recover the compensation you deserve for your losses. We have been helping accident victims like you since our firm was founded in 1959, so you know your claim is in good hands. Please contact us at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free consultation, and read on for a summary on how Port Moody accident cases work.
Legal Support and Advice in a Wide Range of Port Moody Accidents
Our lawyers at Preszler Injury Lawyers offer comprehensive legal services in a wide range of accidents caused by negligence, such as:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including incidents involving passengers, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other motorized vehicles;
- Accidents causing injuries to bicycle riders and pedestrians;
- Premises liability matters, such as slips, trips, falls, and other injuries caused by violation of British Columbia’s Occupiers Liability Act;
- Wrongful death cases, if a loved one was killed due to someone else’s negligence;
- Animal attacks and dog bites;
- Medical errors and malpractice;
- Injuries caused by defective products; and,
- Many other incidents where negligence is a factor.
Keep in mind that there is an insurance company involved with many of these types of accident claims. For instance the Insurance Company of British Columbia (ICBC) covers negligent motorists and most property owners have insurance policies covering the premises and the negligence of the property owners. Our lawyers have considerable experience filing claims with insurers and negotiating fair, reasonable settlements for injury claims.
However, members of the Preszler Injury Lawyers team have also spent significant time litigating accident cases. We are as effective in court as we are at the negotiating table, and will take all action necessary to protect your right to compensation.
Pursuing Your Accident Claim
There are many circumstances that can lead to injury-causing accidents, but most of them share a common factor: negligence. Claims based upon negligence require you to establish four essential elements, which are:
- The responsible party had a legal duty to exercise reasonable caution in interacting with others;
- The individual failed to comply with this obligation;
- The breach of legal duty caused the accident in which you were injured; and,
- You suffered losses in the form of economic damages and/or injuries.
While not an official element of a claim for negligence, there is one technical requirement that may impact your rights. British Columbia’s Limitation Act imposes a time restriction for initiating litigation in court against the party responsible for your injuries. If you do not sue within two years after the date of the accident, you are forever barred from seeking compensation for your injuries. If a municipality is involved, you must also give notice within two months of the accident or your claim could be barred.
Damages in Accident Claims
If successful in establishing all facts necessary to prove negligence, you can recover compensation in the form of damages. The legal concept of damages refers to the losses you suffer due to the different ways your injuries affect your life. Your losses are categorized into two groups:
These are the losses you suffer that can be determined by documentation. They include lost wages, as well as such medical expenses as:
- Emergency treatment and urgent care;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative treatment;
- Prescription medications;
- Income loss;
- Disability benefits;
- Housekeeping expenses and losses; and,
- Similar medical costs.
This category includes losses that are more indeterminate, but which certain have an impact on your life. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional anguish;
- Decreased enjoyment of life, such as where you cannot participate in your favorite activities and/or lose independence due to medical issues;
- Losses based upon how your injuries affect personal relationships with your spouse, children, and other loved ones; and,
- Other types of damages that depend on the circumstances in your case.
Schedule an Appointment with Accident Lawyer in Port Moody Today
While this overview of how accident cases work may be useful, the information is no substitute for the knowledgeable advice and counsel of a dedicated accident lawyer. At the Preszler , our team provides the personalized representation and attention to detail you expect.
For more information about accident claims in Port Moody, please contact our firm at 1-844-373-8202 or visit us online. We can schedule a free, no-obligations consultation to discuss your legal options.