Accident Lawyer Port Coquitlam
In most situations, an “accident” is anything but inadvertent and is usually something preventable. Accidents happen because someone fails to consider the safety of others and act reasonably under the circumstances. If you are a victim of such unfortunate circumstances, you face serious consequences. Not only does your physical health suffer, but you can sustain other losses as the result of the responsible party’s negligence.
Our accident lawyers at the Preszler Injury Lawyers understand your tough predicament, which is why we strive to take the burden of a personal injury accident off of your shoulders. Since our firm was founded in 1959, our team has been dedicated to serving the legal needs of personal injury victims. Please call us at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free consultation regarding your circumstances. You may also find it useful to get an overview on how accident claims work.
Our Legal Services for Port Coquitlam Accident Victims
The lawyers at the Preszler Injury Lawyers offer knowledgeable legal support in all types of accidents based upon negligence, including:
- Traffic-related collisions involving cars, trucks, motorcycles and other motorized vehicles;
- Incidents in which a bicyclist or pedestrian is hurt in a motorized vehicle crash;
- Slips, trips, and falls due to dangerous conditions on property, due to non-compliance with the British Columbia’s Occupiers Liability Act;
- Dog bites and other attacks by animals;
- Injuries due to medical mistakes or malpractice;
- Incidents where defective products cause injuries due to manufacturing or design flaws;
- Wrongful death claims; and,
- Other types of accidents where negligent acts contribute to injuries.
In many of these scenarios, an insurance company provides coverage for the responsible party whose negligence was a factor in the injury-causing accident. Property owners and occupiers typically carry coverage for accidents occurring on and off of the premises, and motorists maintain coverage provided by the Insurance Company of British Columbia(ICBC). Our Preszler Injury Lawyers team has decades of combined experience protecting the interests of accident victims in settlement negotiations with insurance providers.
If an insurer’s offer does not fully compensate you for your losses, our lawyers will take the battle to court to fight for your rights. We have spent countless hours in court rooms and litigation settings, advocating on behalf of accident victims.
How Accident Claims Work
Though each situation will vary, the vast majority of accidents are the result of negligence. If you are a victim, you must prove four sets of facts to recover compensation, including:
- A person had a duty to use reasonable care so as to not cause a right of harm to others;
- He or she breached this legal duty by acting carelessly;
- The breach of duty directly caused the accident which led to your injuries; and,
- You sustained damages due to the failure to comply with the legal duty.
Though not considered an element of a cause of action for negligence, there is an additional requirement in pursuing your accident claim: Under British Columbia’s Limitation Act, you must file a lawsuit within two years after the incident or you became aware of the incident in which you were injured. Failure to adhere to this statute prohibits you from recovering compensation. If a municipality is involved, you must also give written notice within two months or your case could be barred.
Types of Compensation for Accident Victims
The compensation you may be entitled to recover after suffering injuries in an accident is derived from the legal concept of damages. The term represents the losses you sustain as a result of your injuries and the impact on your life. There are two categories of damages you can recover if you prove the essential elements of a negligence claim:
- Economic Damages, which are the more easily ascertainable losses you endure. Medical costs are an example, such as expenses related to emergency care, surgery, physical therapy, and ongoing treatment. Lost wages are another type of economic damages.
- Non-Economic Damages covers losses of a more subjective nature, such as pain and suffering. Though you cannot present receipts showing your suffering, there are other ways to describe the extent that your injuries negatively impact your life. Emotional distress and diminished quality of life are other examples of non-economic damages.
Call Now to Reach an Accident Lawyer in Port Coquitlam
At the Preszler , our accident lawyers have the knowledge and experience to ensure you obtain the highest amount of compensation you are entitled to by law. We aggressively advocate on your behalf when discussing settlement with an insurer, but we will not hesitate to sue in court as necessary to ensure you are made whole after an accident.
If you would like to know more about your rights as an accident victim in Port Coquitlam, please contact our offices at 1-844-373-8202 or check out our website. We offer a free, no-obligations consultation where we can review your situation and advise you on your legal options.