Nanaimo Trip and Fall Lawyer
Tripping and falling over hazards like a poorly placed object or unlevel sidewalks can sometimes cause serious, life-changing injuries. For example, of the more than 42,000 Canadian workers injured in on-the-job falls each year, roughly a third sustain moderate to severe injuries, including hip fractures, head trauma, spinal cord injuries, and forearm fractures. Trips cause roughly 15 percent of fatalities in the workplace.
Whether on-the-job or not, when trip and fall accidents occur due to the negligence or recklessness of a property owner, victims can seek to recover compensation for their losses by filing a personal injury lawsuit. The most effective way to get the full recovery you deserve is to consult with an experienced trip and fall lawyer. At Preszler Injury Lawyers, we possess the knowledge and resources to take on a complex trip and fall case – and win.
Reasons for Trip and Fall Accidents
Causes of trip and fall accidents include:
- Debris on floors
- Exposed electrical wiring
- Stairs in disrepair
- Inadequate lighting
- Cracked pavement
- Uneven flooring
- Lack of handrails
- Bunched carpeting
- Holes in flooring
- Unmarked changes in elevation
Not all trip and fall accidents are a matter of negligence, so it is important to have a lawyer review the facts surrounding your case. It costs you nothing to obtain a case review from our trip and fall law firm. If you choose to work with us, you pay nothing upfront for legal representation and only owe a legal fee if we are ultimately successful in securing a settlement or jury award.
What Counts As a Trip and Fall Accident?
Property owners in British Columbia owe their guests a widely accepted “duty of care” to maintain their properties to reasonable safety standards. To have a valid personal injury claim, the fall must have arisen from an unsafe condition or hazard. Secondly, it must be demonstrated the landlord or “occupier” knew about the unsafe condition or should have known, and allowed the danger to persist.
Are Your Injuries Serious Enough To File a Claim?
The most common personal injuries we see in trip and fall lawsuits are:
- Sprains and fractures – When bones break or muscles tear, permanent loss of feeling, control, or mobility can result. Infections and chronic pain are other potentially severe complications.
- Shoulder Injuries – Instinctively throwing one’s arms out can cause dislocation, tears, or fractures to the shoulder area. Brachial plexus injuries affecting the nerves from the hands through the arm and shoulder can be life-long, altering how these body parts function.
- Hip fractures – Falls are the leading cause of hip fractures, which can be particularly severe for the elderly. The effects of being bedridden for a long recovery increases the risk of death.
- Back and spinal cord injuries – Disc herniation, spinal fractures, and nerve damage can lead to years of pain and disability following a head-over-heels fall.
- Head injuries – The majority of traumatic brain injuries are caused by trips, slips, and falls, causing extensive hospital bills and missed time off work.
You can receive compensation for your injuries even if you were partially to blame for the accident. The courts generally award a total amount of damages, which is then reduced by the percentage you are deemed “at fault.” A personal injury lawyer representing your case will provide a strong argument against the defendants’ allegation that the accident was due to your own oversight.
Evidence in Trip and Fall Cases
Our Nanaimo trip and fall lawyers will seek to support your claims with the following evidence:
- A detailed accident report
- Footage captured on surveillance cameras
- Eyewitness testimony or witness statements
- Internal company records showing a history of repairs or similar claims
- Area safety standards and building codes
- Your medical records and bills
Preszler Injury Lawyers is accessible to all of Vancouver Island, including the over 90,000 residents of Nanaimo. A qualified trip and fall lawyer at our firm is always available for a free consultation. If you have suffered financial loss, as well as pain and suffering, do not hesitate to call.