Burnaby Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
Slip and fall accidents are common occurrences that can happen anywhere. While visiting both commercial and residential properties, Burnaby residents could slip on an unnoticed, seemingly innocent maintenance hazard and sustain serious injuries as a result.
The injuries commonly sustained in serious slip and fall accidents can have long-lasting effects on an individual’s quality of life. As a result of the injuries they have sustained, accident survivors could face physical challenges, emotional difficulties, and financial hardships for weeks, months, or even years following their falls.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, there are several actions that should be taken as soon as possible. In the immediate aftermath of a slip and fall accident, it is important to:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you are not sure about the severity of your injuries, it is still a good idea to see a doctor. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent but can become more severe if not treated promptly. In addition to potentially benefiting your overall recovery, official medical documentation of your injuries might prove useful in future legal claims.
- Report the accident: Report the accident to the property owner or manager as soon as possible. Request a copy of your official report for your own records and save the name and contact information of the accident report’s recipient.
- Document the scene: Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including any hazardous conditions that caused the accident (such as wet floors, uneven surfaces, or debris).
- Gather contact information: Try to get the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Keep track of medical bills and expenses: Retain all medical bills and record all expenses related to your injuries that you have been required to pay out-of-pocket, including mileage to and from medical appointments, physiotherapy bills, and lost wages due to missed work.
- Consult with a personal injury lawyer: To understand your legal options and to ensure your rights are protected, schedule a free initial consultation with our Burnaby slip and fall accident lawyers. To do so, contact us today.
Slip and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries. For older adults, slip and fall accidents can be particularly dangerous and can result in life-threatening injuries. Indeed, 85% of older Canadians’ injury-related hospitalizations are the result of a fall and more than half of their injury-related deaths.
British Columbia’s Occupiers Liability Act outlines the responsibilities of property owners/occupiers to ensure that their premises are safe for visitors. In accordance with this Act, an occupier has a duty to take reasonable care to ensure that their premises are safe for visitors. If an occupier fails to meet this duty of care and a visitor is injured as a result, the occupier may be held liable for the visitor’s injuries.
In the context of slip and fall accident claims, the term “occupier” refers to someone who has control over the premises, such as the owner, tenant, or property manager. If the person responsible for the property’s maintenance and/or the person who controls access to the space has failed to take reasonable preventative measures to reduce the risk of injury-causing slips and falls on the premises, they may be considered negligent. In such situations, injured victims of slip and fall accidents may be able to recover compensation for their damages.
Contact Our Burnaby Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, consider scheduling a free initial consultation with our Burnaby slip and fall accident lawyers. If you are eligible to pursue a civil claim, our slip and fall accident lawyers serving Burnaby may be able to provide crucial assistance in your pursuit of fair compensation. To receive case-specific legal feedback from our Burnaby slip and fall accident lawyers, schedule your cost-free, no-obligation initial consultation with us today.