Slip and Fall Lawyer Port Coquitlam
When you enter a store, restaurant, parking garage, or similar types of property, you expect to be reasonably safe from hazards that could cause a risk of harm. The failure of the property’s owner or occupier to keep the premises free from dangerous conditions could lead to catastrophic injuries for victims of a slip and fall accident. Even beyond the initial trauma, there could be long-term pain and suffering. Plus, you may incur astronomical medical bills for treatment, at a time when you could be experiencing financial hardships from being unable to work. With your world turned upside down, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help.
Our slip and fall lawyers at the Preszler Injury Lawyers are dedicated to taking the burden off your shoulders when it comes to filing a claim for your injuries. Since our founding in 1959, our lawyers have been assisting victims of slip and fall accidents, so we have accumulated the necessary experience to fight for your rights. Please call us at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a consultation, as you review some general information about slip and fall incidents.
Representing Victims in Port Coquitlam Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip or trip and fall claim is based upon the concept of premises liability, which holds property owners liable if they fail in their duty to keep you safe from hazardous conditions. This source of this duty is the British Columbia’s Occupiers Liability Act, which applies to those in physical possession of the premises, as well as:
- Anyone who has responsibility or control over the condition of the property;
- A person who manages activities conducted on the premises; and,
- Anyone who has authority over the persons allowed to enter onto the property.
If you are hurt because an owner, occupier, or other person designated by law does not exercise reasonable care in ensuring the safety of the premises, you may be able to recover compensation for the costs you incur for medical treatment, your lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. For practical purposes, you would pursue the insurance provider that covers the property instead of the actual owner. It is important to understand the role of the insurance company with respect to your claim, because:
- The company is a business that prioritizes profits, not your interests.
- It is the job of an insurance adjuster to find reasons to deny or reduce your slip and fall claim.
- The insurance adjuster handles these matters on a daily basis and has experience fighting against claimants like you, whereas this may be your first encounter with such legal issues.
With these points in mind, you can see how critical it is to retain our Preszler Injury Lawyers slip and fall lawyers to represent you in filing a claim based upon premises liability. We regularly take on insurance companies and will relentlessly pursue your claim until you receive the compensation you deserve.
Dangerous Conditions on Property
Every slip and fall case is unique, but there tend to be some common factors behind these injury-causing accidents, such as:
- Broken, uneven, or cracked surfaces;
- Poor lighting or failure to provide lighting in dark spaces;
- Loose railings on stairways;
- Wet or slippery surfaces, due to spills or dripping;
- Trip hazards caused by unsecured flooring;
- Debris and equipment blocking points of ingress and egress;
- Uneven walkways and trip ledges;
- Stray wiring around computer equipment or electrical outlets;
- Failure to comply with obligations regarding snow and ice removal; and,
- Many other unsafe conditions.
Those responsible for the property may be liable under premises liability laws when these and other hazards exist on property. Their duties extend to:
- Remedying a dangerous condition when it is discovered or reported;
- Inspect for hazards;
- Conducting regular inspections to identify unsafe conditions that need attention;
- Posting signage to warn others of the existence of a hazard;
- Using reasonable care when remedying a dangerous condition, so as to not create another safety threat; and,
- Other obligations depending on the circumstances.
Trust a Port Coquitlam Slip and Fall Lawyer to Protect Your Rights
This overview of slip and fall cases should be helpful, but it also demonstrates that these cases are very complicated. You need solid representation, especially when going up against insurance companies that do not have your interests in mind. For more information on your rights as a victim of a slip and fall accident, please contact the Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free, no-obligations consultation. You can also visit us online to learn more about our legal services in all areas of personal injury law.