Vancouver Sexual Assault Lawyers
Sexual assault is a serious issue in Vancouver, and one that is becoming increasingly prevalent. Recently, there was a record high number of sexual assaults reported to police throughout the province. And, sadly, it does not appear that this crime will become any less pervasive in the future.
According to reporting from Statistics Canada, sexual assault is the country’s only violent crime that is not on the decline. Each year, tens of thousands of Canadians of all genders, sexualities, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds are subjected to unwanted, non-consensual sexual conduct. The consequences of these experiences can be long-lasting, and can impact multiple areas of a survivor’s life.
Survivors of sexual assault commonly face a range of consequences, including:
- Emotional distress: Survivors may experience a range of intense emotions, including fear, anxiety, mistrust, and feelings of vulnerability. They may also struggle with depression, self-blame, and low self-esteem.
- Physical injuries: Sexual assault can result in physical injuries that could require medical attention, treatment, and even surgeries. These injuries could have long-term physical repercussions for survivors.
- Health problems: Sexual assault can also have long-term health consequences, including sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancies. Survivors may also be at increased risk of developing mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Social consequences: Survivors may also face social consequences, such as isolation, difficulty forming or maintaining relationships, and difficulty functioning in social situations.
- Financial burdens: Sexual assault can have financial consequences, as well. Medical expenses, therapy costs, and lost wages can add up quickly, making it difficult for survivors to get back on their feet financially. As a result of their experience with sexual assault, survivors may struggle to complete educational opportunities or vocational training, impacting their future earning capabilities. Sexual assault survivors who need to take time away from work in order to recover from the trauma of their experience could miss out on opportunities for promotions or career advancement, resulting in further wage losses.
Every survivor’s experience is unique, and the consequences they face depend on their individual circumstances. It is important for survivors to seek help and support in order to begin the healing process and to recover compensation for the financial losses they have incurred (or will incur in the future).
Our Vancouver sexual assault lawyers have combined decades of experience helping members of the local community in their pursuits of justice, accountability, and fair compensation. If you have been the victim of assault, our sexual assault lawyers serving Vancouver may be able to provide valuable insights, support, and guidance throughout the legal process.
In British Columbia, there is no time limit on sexual assault claims. That means that, even if your assault happened many years ago, you might still be eligible to work with our Vancouver sexual assault lawyers to pursue a civil claim against your perpetrator and any other parties who may be liable for the damages you have incurred. To learn more about working with our sexual assault lawyers serving Vancouver, contact us online or call 1-800-JUSTICE to receive a free initial consultation on your case.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation by Calling 1-800-JUSTICE
Our Vancouver sexual assault lawyers know that, after surviving an assault, people often have many questions about what to do next and where to turn for support. To learn how our sexual assault lawyers serving Vancouver may be able to provide you with crucial assistance, schedule your free initial consultation today.
To speak with our Vancouver sexual assault lawyers and learn about options for compensation that might be available to you, call 1-800-JUSTICE and book your cost-free, no-obligation first consultation with Preszler Injury Lawyers.