Trip and Fall Lawyer in Burnaby

Simple trip and fall accidents can result in injuries to the back, brain, limbs, and spinal cord. In fact, trip and fall accidents are one the leading causes of unintentional injuries in British Columbia, costing the province over $290 million a year in health care expenses alone, according to BC Injury Research and Prevention Unit (IRPU).

It is not just workers and the elderly who are susceptible; anyone can trip and fall when there are hazards and poor conditions on premises. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a trip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your economic and non-economic losses.

Since 1959, our firm has helped thousands of accident victims and their families exercise their right to financial recovery after suffering serious or fatal injuries because of someone else’s negligence. We have successfully settled many complicated cases involving trip and fall accidents and want to help you too. Call us today at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free consultation with a Burnaby trip and fall lawyer.

What steps should I take after a trip and fall accident in Burnaby?

After an accident, your health and well-being are of chief importance. No matter the extent of your injuries, even if you believe they are minor, it is in your best interest to have a doctor examine you. A medical evaluation serves as a critical piece evidence in your personal injury claim and is especially important if your injuries cause you to miss work and require on-going medical treatment.

If possible, always take multiple pictures of the hazard that caused your fall. This will be important evidence in proving why you fell.

Next, you should consider consulting an experienced trip and fall lawyer in Burnaby at Preszler Law as there may be deadlines for giving notice or bringing a claim against the negligent party who caused your accident and resultant injuries. The sooner you have legal counsel, the sooner your lawyer can gather other pieces of critical evidence such as:

  • The incident report made to the owner or manager of the premises.
  • Photos and measurements of the accident scene and the hazard(s) that caused you to trip and fall.
  • Testimony from anyone who witnessed your accident.

Will I be entitled to compensation for my injuries?

If the property owner’s negligence caused you to trip and fall, you have the right to make a claim. However, to win your claim and receive maximum compensation for your damages, you must prove the owner of the property failed to take the necessary measures to keep the premises reasonably safe for visitors. Below are some examples of negligence that could validate a trip and fall case:

  • Loose floorboards or tile.
  • Ripples in the carpet.
  • Electrical cords lying on a footpath.
  • Poor lighting.
  • Uneven stairs or the lack of a railing.
  • Uneven flooring.
  • Potholes and cracked pavement.
  • Boxes, merchandise, tools, or other items left in walkways.
  • Liquid, debris or other slipper material on the floor.
  • Water, snow or ice.

Who is responsible for paying my damages?

The property owner’s liability insurance company is responsible for paying your claim. Insurance companies are sophisticated and experienced in defending personal injury claims. They do not have your best interests at heart; they represent the party who caused your injuries and focus on their bottom line. Dealing with them alone or without the proper legal advice can lead you to make mistakes that hurt your claim. Meet with an experienced trip and fall lawyer at Preszler Law who can investigate your case and gather the necessary evidence to support your claim.

What if the property owner is my family member or friend?

If you tripped and fell at a friend or family member’s house, you can file a claim against their homeowner’s policy. Typically, your friend or family member will not have to pay any out-of-pocket costs for your damages. Their insurance company handles everything and pays the damage award. Your Burnaby trip and fall lawyer would handle all communications with the insurance, so you do not have to.

Should I hire a trip and fall lawyer to help with my case?

It is best to leave legal matters to trained professionals who know how to navigate the law and deal with insurance company adjusters. When you suffer injuries in a trip and fall accident, you will have to jump through many hoops to recover what is rightfully yours from the responsible party’s insurance carrier. The insurance adjuster may employ tactics to delay your claim for months at a time, offer you a low settlement or deny it altogether.

We are all too familiar with the tactics insurance companies use to frustrate accident victims and push them to the brink of exhaustion so they accept a low settlement offer. We do not tolerate this unfair treatment.

When you work with the Preszler Law Firm in Burnaby, we:

  • Investigate your case and gather evidence to support your claim.
  • Work directly with the insurance company to achieve maximum compensation.
  • Handle the paperwork and legal minutiae to alleviate stress on your part.
  • Work to ensure you are getting the proper treatment.
  • Ensure all of your losses and expenses – both current and future – are accounted for in your claim.
  • Take your case to court if need be and continue advocating for your right to maximum compensation.

What types of damages can I recover?

Every case is unique. Therefore, the types and amount of damages you can collect depend on the extent of your injuries and losses and how they impact your life today and in the future. Your lawyer can work with your physicians and other medical experts to ensure your injuries and their effects on your daily life are well documented and presented to the insurance company.

When you have substantial medical evidence to support your claim, you stand a much better chance of receiving a full and fair settlement for your losses.

You may be able to recover damages for:

  • Medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Loss of wages, disability
  • Out-of-pocket expenses
  • Scarring and disfigurement
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Emotional harm
  • Pain and suffering

Is there a deadline for filing a trip and fall claim?

British Columbia’s Limitation Act provides a time limit for filing personal injury claims, including trip and fall accidents. The law specifies that in most cases, you have two years from the date of the accident to take legal action. In cases against the government, you must often take action much quicker by providing them with proper notice within weeks of the accident. Failing to file a claim or provide proper notice within the specified timeframe will bar you from seeking compensation.

Schedule a FREE consult with a trip and fall lawyer in Burnaby today.

At Preszler Law, our personal injury team goes above and beyond for our clients. When you hire us to handle your trip and fall case, we get to work immediately, gathering evidence, drafting documents, and speaking with insurers. Call us today to get started with your case: 1-844-373-8202.

Scroll to Top