With cell phones, GPS, and other mobile technology distractions, it is more dangerous than ever for bicyclists to share the road with drivers. A driver’s quick glance to check text messages could mean serious injuries for a bicyclist.
If you were struck by a driver while riding your bike in Richmond, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and more. A Richmond bicycle accident lawyer at the Preszler Law Firm will work to protect your legal rights and help you recover compensation for your losses. Call us at 1-844-373-8202 to discuss your case for free.
What steps should I take after my bicycle accident in Richmond?
After your bicycle accident, there are many critical steps you should take to protect your right to financial recovery including, but not limited to, the following:
- Get the motorist’s information, including their name, license plate number and driver’s license number.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible, even if you believe you are okay or can handle the pain, you should still be checked by a physician. Be sure to tell the physician you were in a bicycle accident and about all of your symptoms. If you continue to feel pain after your initial visit, you should see your doctor again.
- Call ICBC to let them know you got hit by a car while riding your bicycle. The insurance company will ask you to complete the necessary forms to open your claim for accident benefits. They may also ask you to give a recorded statement about the accident. Do not give a statement before speaking with a lawyer. You may unknowingly make innocent but damaging statements that will devalue the worth of your claim.
- Ask an experienced bicycle accident lawyer to review your case. Just as you would seek a doctor’s opinion about your accident injuries, you should consider having an experienced personal injury lawyer at the Preszler Law Firm review the details of your case. The lawyer can provide you with their professional opinion about the estimated value of your claim. We offer injured cyclists a free initial consultation. If you would like us to review your case at no cost or obligation to you, please feel free to contact us today.
- Keep the details of your accident to yourself. Unless you are discussing your accident with your doctor or lawyer, it is best to refrain from talking to anyone else about it including the responsible party’s insurance company or lawyer.
- Do not sign any release forms from ICBC before asking your lawyer to review them first. Your lawyer can ensure you are meeting your legal obligations without damaging your claim.
- Keep a log of your damages and how you feel every day. It is best to leave your bike and other damaged items in disrepair until you have taken photographs. You should also take photographs of your injuries if they are visible. This information may be valuable when seeking accident benefits. Keep all receipts and record all lost income.
- Follow your doctors’ advice. Keep all of your appointments and follow your treatment plan as prescribed. Most importantly, always be honest with your doctors about how you feel. Now is not the time to exaggerate or minimize your symptoms.
There is a lot of legal legwork to be done after your accident. While we cannot take away your pain and suffering, we can ease your legal burden by handling all aspects of your Richmond bicycle accident claim, allowing you to focus on your physical and emotional recovery.
Speak with a Richmond Bicycle Accident Lawyer for Free
Assigning fault in a bicycle accident claim requires thorough investigation and experience. You generally have two years from the time of your bicycle accident to start a lawsuit. If you miss the deadline, you forfeit your right to recover compensation for your injuries and other losses.
There are significant accident benefits available to cyclists hit by motorists who have suffered serious injuries, regardless of fault. To learn more about your options, call us at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free consultation. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Richmond provide their legal services on a contingency basis, which means you never have to pay any up-front fees. And, if we do not win your case, there’s no fee.