Coquitlam Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Every year, roughly 2,400 pedestrians are injured, and 58 are killed by drivers in British Columbia. Pedestrians hurt by negligent drivers – even if they are at fault for causing the crash – can collect compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses through ICBC. Families grieving the loss of a loved one can collect survivors’ benefits and additional compensation to cover funeral and burial costs. It is important to understand that ICBC was designed to limit the need for litigation and keep settlement costs low. You are entitled to step outside the ICBC system and work with a personal injury law firm when your losses are particularly severe.
Important steps to take to strengthen a pedestrian accident case
What you do immediately following the accident is very important in establishing your claim:
- Seek immediate medical care – Failing to get evaluated by a medical professional makes it look like the collision didn’t really hurt you. Sometimes cuts become infected, a twisted ankle turns into a fracture or soft tissue injuries that seem like minor aches and pains turn into long-term chronic pain, so it’s always best to be seen and maintain any follow-up appointments.
- Gather evidence – Jot down as much information as you can remember right away, while it’s fresh in your mind. Gather contact information for any eyewitnesses. Look around and see if any surveillance cameras may have caught what happened. Keep a copy of the police report and take photographs of the accident scene if possible.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer – Our Coquitlam pedestrian accident lawyers like to begin collecting independent evidence as soon as possible. While B.C. law technically allows up to two years to file an ICBC tort claim, you’ll be happy you spoke with a lawyer who could help put your mind at ease sooner rather than later.
Why do people call a pedestrian accident law firm?
Calling a pedestrian accident law firm is prudent for serious injuries that typically exceed ICBC payout thresholds. Traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, broken bones, back injuries, and internal organ damage are injuries that require long-term medical care and rehabilitation, which can be extremely costly.
Every case is different, with its unique set of circumstances, but you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Physical therapy, medications, treatments, and rehab
- Disability-related home modifications
- Loss of housekeeping capacity
- Pain and suffering
Our dedicated Coquitlam pedestrian accident lawyers have seen thousands of claims and can help you determine a fair ICBC settlement, so you don’t undervalue your injuries and end up paying out-of-pocket.
Contact us today
If you desire a face-to-face consultation but are too injured to come to us, we can come to you. You will not pay us anything for our legal services unless we win your case. Call Preszler Injury Lawyers to set up your free, no-obligation consultation with a compassionate pedestrian accident lawyer who will advocate for you so you can begin rebuilding your life.