Kelowna ICBC Lawyers
As Kelowna natives know well, the city is a tourist haven with its incredible scenery, vineyards, and lakeside recreation. With so many visitors coming and going year-round, a certain amount of motor vehicle accidents is a natural consequence. Whether you are resident or simply passing through, it is important that everyone knows what to do – and what not to do – if they experience a car accident while in town.
Requirements and mistakes to avoid for ICBC claims
The ICBC is the crown corporation that provides basic insurance to all registered vehicles in British Columbia. In the aftermath of a car accident, there are certain ICBC requirements that you must meet and mistakes that you need to avoid:
- You must notify the ICBC of any accident involving an insured vehicle. This preserves for you a potential claim for benefits, and you should make this call within 24 hours of the accident.
- You are only required to present basic information about the accident, such as the location and time of the accident, drivers licence information, licence plate numbers for every vehicle involved in the crash, and information about all witnesses.
- No matter what the ICBC asks you, you are not required to discuss issues such as who may be at fault or the extent of your injuries.
- Keep in mind that anything you say to the ICBC can and will be used against you, so it is wise to hire an ICBC law firm before you ever meet with the ICBC.
How to qualify for Part 7 benefits
Even if you were at fault in an accident, most people are eligible for Part 7 “no-fault” benefits to cover approved medical benefits, rehabilitation benefits, income loss benefits, and death benefits. To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:
- Promptly report this accident to the ICBC
- Provide the ICBC with a written report describing the crash and your resulting injuries within 30 days of the accident
- Within 90 days, provide the ICBC with a proof of claim form
Retaining the services of an ICBC lawyer can help ensure that you comply with all deadlines and preserve your right to file a lawsuit at a future date.
How to maximize your compensation despite the ICBC’s best efforts
The ICBC has every incentive to minimize the amount of compensation that you recover from your accident. They are known to pressure victims to agree to a settlement early in the process before they have consulted with a lawyer. The Kelowna ICBC lawyers of Preszler Law will not let that happen to you. We know how to investigate the actual cause of your accident, prove liability, assign a realistic value to the injuries you sustained, and take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive maximum compensation.
What Preszler Law can do for you
You are entitled to speak with an ICBC lawyer before giving any formal statements to the ICBC, and your claim cannot be denied for doing this. There is no charge for your initial consultation, and we do not collect a fee from you unless we win. If you or a loved one have been in a motor vehicle accident, contact us today before communicating with the ICBC.