ICBC Lawyer Port Moody
Like many residents of British Columbia, you depend on your vehicle for both personal and professional travel. When you spend so much time behind the wheel as part of your daily routine, you may not appreciate that the risk of a car accident is all around you. The Insurance Company of British Columbia (ICBC) collects data regarding the frequency of auto collisions and, unfortunately, the statistics on incidents causing death or injuries is on the rise: there were 54,000 casualty crashes in BC in 2012, and that number reached 64,000 in 2016. The total number of all car crashes in BC from 2012-2016 is also surprising, averaging 290,000 per year. Injured victims endure pain and suffering, and may be out of work as medical bills mount.
If you were hurt in a Port Moody auto collision, you do have the right to file a claim for your losses. The law requires all motorists to carry minimum coverage amounts, but you must properly submit your claim to the ICBC to recover compensation. The potential for mistakes is high, so it is wise to retain an experienced ICBC lawyer to assist with the process. Our lawyers at the Preszler Injury Lawyers are at your side, pursuing all benefits you are entitled to receive by law.
Port Moody ICBC Lawyers Fight for Your Right to Compensation
Though a driver’s carelessness may be the cause of your car accident, you file your claim with ICBC. These cases are based upon the legal theory of negligence, so you must prove:
- The responsible motorist had a duty to drive safely;
- He or she failed in this duty, and the breach caused an auto collision;
- You were hurt as a result of the other driver’s negligence; and,
- You sustained damages from your injuries.
Damages is a legal term that refers to the economic and non-economic losses you suffer when hurt in a car crash. Your claim to the ICBC is essentially a request for reimbursement for your damages, which may include:
- Out-of-pocket expenses for medical care, including emergency treatment, physiotherapy, rehabilitation, massage therapy, counselling, and related costs;
- Lost wages if you are unable to work because of your injuries;
- Loss of housekeeping capacity damages;
- Pain and suffering; and,
- Other damages depending on your circumstances.
Notifying ICBC About Your Claim
To perfect your right to compensation, you must notify the ICBC about your auto crash as soon as practicable. It is only necessary to provide basic details at this point, including the names of all involved drivers, license plate numbers, and similar information. You should not make any formal statements about fault, causation, or your opinion on what happened.
Once you alert ICBC, your next step should be to consult with a skilled ICBC lawyer. You might assume that the agency has your best interests in mind, as the point of paying your insurance premiums is to cover your losses in the event of a traffic accident. Still, always keep in mind that ICBC is a business: This crown corporation makes a profit by paying out as little as possible on claims, so it does not put your interests first in a lawsuit. Offering too much information in your initial conversation could give the adjuster a reason to deny your claim, dispute your injuries, or put the blame on you.
Work with ICBC Lawyers in Port Moody
At the Preszler , our ICBC lawyers prioritize your needs after a car accident. Our legal team has extensive knowledge of the laws impacting your claim, and we have access to an array of professionals. Our lawyers work with:
- Medical experts who can describe the nature of your injuries in layman’s terms, so the pain and suffering you experience is never in doubt;
- Economists who forecast how the accident will affect your future earnings, whether you are working in a diminished capacity or cannot work in your chosen profession;
- Accident reconstruction experts with in-depth knowledge of physics, who can depict issues related to causation and fault; and,
- Other specialists that help us in our efforts to obtain the highest compensation available under the law.
Schedule a FREE Consultation with a Port Moody ICBC Lawyer
Our Preszler Injury Lawyers lawyers have significant experience in pursuing ICBC claims in Port Moody, along with the dedication to ensure protection of your legal rights after an auto crash. If you would like to discuss your case with a lawyer, please call us today at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. You can also visit us online to learn more about our legal services for car accident victims.