Serving All of British Columbia Call 1-888-404-5167

Is Pain and Suffering Awarded After a Minor Car Accident?

For years, pain and suffering damages were a common part of small claims lawsuits in British Columbia. Even seemingly minor injuries often resulted in substantial awards. A steady increase in the amount of benefits paid out each year led to the provincial government to drastically reduce them. Now, the government places a firm cap on these damages in a minor injury claim.

You still have the potential to recover pain and suffering compensation from ICBC. However, the cap on it is substantial. What’s more, the process for avoiding that cap and having your day in court is far more complicated.

While the courts and insurance companies might consider your injuries minor, that does not mean their impact on your life should be ignored. At Preszler Injury Lawyers, we understand the effect that even minor injuries can have on your personal and professional life. Call today to discuss your case—we are a personal injury law firm.

What is a minor injury?

Call 1-877-572-1324 to speak with our British Columbia legal intake team for free Book Free Consultation

Before you can understand the process of recovering pain and suffering damages for a minor injury– it is helpful to know the definition. While it is somewhat subjective, there are guidelines, and they include:

  • Cuts
  • Bruises
  • Strains
  • Sprains
  • Concussions
  • Mental health injuries
  • Whiplash injuries lasting less than a year

It is possible for mental health injuries and concussions to fall outside of the cap on damages. If the symptoms from either of these last more than four months, the cap does not apply.

Ultimately, the determination on whether your injuries are minor or not falls to your doctor as opposed to the ICBC. They will diagnose as well as identify the appropriate treatment plan. Their decision determines whether the damages cap is in place or not.

Understanding caps on minor injury pain and suffering

The cap on these damages is low. In total, pain and suffering compensation for minor injuries is limited to $5,500 per claim. When it is filed, an injury victim or their car accident lawyer will negotiate with the ICBC over the value. However, obtaining more than $5,500 in pain and suffering damages is impossible.

If the two parties cannot agree on the amount, a lengthy administrative process could begin. First, the two parties must go before a Civil Resolution Tribunal. This independent review is designed to help the parties come to an agreement. They have tremendous flexibility in resolving these claims, often using e-mail and other technology to simplify it. In some cases, the tribunal will make use of a mediator to move negotiations along.

If mediation does not work, the final step for a tribunal is to enlist the help of a lawyer who serves as an arbitrator and will hear both sides make their case. At the end of the arbitration hearing, the lawyer will make a binding decision on how much pain and suffering damages are required– if any.

The arbitration does not mark the end of the process if you are not happy with the result. At that point, you are entitled to bring a lawsuit before the British Columbia Supreme Court to have them review the tribunal’s decision. In that case, the Supreme Court will have the final say.

How Preszler Injury Lawyers can help 

We have experience taking on the ICBC and winning. We believe our clients are entitled to pain and suffering compensation and will work tirelessly to help them obtain it. If we believe the doctor wrongly labelled an injury as minor– we will take steps to remove the damage cap from the process.

We understand if you have questions about what comes next. That is why every consultation with us is free. If you are ready to pursue pain and suffering compensation for your injuries, call right away and schedule your free consultation.

Connect With Our Legal Team

Schedule a call with our personal injury legal intake team. Our team is available 24/7 so call us now to book your call. Our scheduled intake allows you to tell us details about your accident and gives our legal team an opportunity to review your case and advise you on possible solutions and outcomes. The best part is, if you decide to hire us after this call - you don't pay anything unless we win. We can help clients regardless of where they reside in British Columbia so let us help you get started on your road to recovery.


1321 Blanshard Street
Suite 301,
Victoria, BC
V8W 0B6
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
4720 Kingsway
Suite 2600,
Burnaby, BC
V6E 3C9
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
5811 Cooney Road
Suite 305 South Tower,
Richmond, BC
V6X 3M1
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
7164 120th Street
Suite 202,
Surrey, BC
V3W 3M8
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
1631 Dickson Avenue
Suite 1100,
Kelowna, BC
V1Y 0B5
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
1075 West Georgia Street
Unit 825,
Vancouver, BC
V6E 3C9
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
*These are consultation offices that require a booked meeting in advance. Walk-ins are not allowed.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that the header image and other images throughout this website may include both lawyer and non-lawyer/paralegal employees of Preszler Injury Lawyers and unrelated third parties. Please note that the purpose of this disclaimer is to ensure that the usage of our spokesperson, John Fraser, or any other non-lawyer/paralegals in our legal marketing is not to be construed in any way as misleading to the public. Any questions regarding the usage of non-lawyers in our legal marketing or otherwise can be directed to management. Please also note that past results are not indicative of future results and that each case is unique and that case results listed on site are from experiences across Canada and are not specific to any province. Please be advised that some of the content on this website may be out of date. None of the content is intended to act as legal advice as each situation is independent and unique and requires individual legal advice from a licensed lawyer or paralegal. For legal advice on your individual situation – we can provide legal guidance after you have contacted our firm and we have established a lawyer-client relationship contractually. Please note that some of the content on this website may be out of date and no longer relevant after May 2021. For additional clarification on legal questions please contact our law firm and book a consultation with a member of our legal team.