Serving All of British Columbia Call 1-888-404-5167

Can I Claim Lost Wages From the ICBC If I’m Self-Employed?

A serious accident throws any victim’s life into upheaval and affects them financially. However, it can sometimes be even more of a burden for the self-employed. You can claim lost wages from the ICBC if injured in a motor vehicle accident, but the process is more complicated for those running their own business than for employees.

A Vancouver ICBC lawyer at Preszler Injury Law can handle the complexities of an ICBC lost wages claim for the self-employed, allowing you to focus on recuperation.

ICBC benefits

The ICBC recently raised its maximum wage loss benefits from $300 to $740 per work, based on 75 percent of weekly income. Self-employed people with private disability insurance should turn first to their insurer to receive these benefits. If you do not have private disability insurance, then you should file a claim with the ICBC for income loss. If your disability insurance pays more than 75 percent of your weekly income, then ICBC benefits will not apply.

Call 1-877-572-1324 to speak with our British Columbia legal intake team for free Book Free Consultation

Tax returns

Of all the documentation needed to prove your income for ICBC purposes, the most critical are your tax returns. You will need not only your most recent return but those for the past several years. Your returns show clearly your earnings and deductions –some of the latter are “taken back” by the ICBC to add to your income amount – and are the best evidentiary tools.

Good recordkeeping

If you are self-employed, good recordkeeping is essential. If your recordkeeping was less than stellar prior to the accident, make sure that you begin recording every aspect of business loss since the accident.

Much will depend on the type of business or service provided. A self-employed person with no employees who is unable to work, or cannot perform many of the tasks required for running the business, is in a different situation than the small businessperson who does have employees. For example, if someone with employees is able to work to some degree, he or she may supervise their workers. Those workers, however, may not have the expertise of the injured person, resulting in business losses.

The self-employed person may also have to hire someone temporarily to do the work they formerly performed, and that expense is a business loss.

You should have records establishing your pre-accident income versus the amount of money earned after you were injured. While your accountant may prove helpful in this regard, these professionals do not often understand the intricacies of an ICBC claim for the self-employed. These calculations, including loss of future income and diminished capacity, are best undertaken by your legal representative.

If you had the possibility to earn more income and were not able to take on the work due to the accident, that can also become part of your ICBC claim. However, you must have proof of his potential income loss, such as a signed contract.

Diminished earning capacity

If the injury was severe and it is unlikely the person will ever fully recover, it is possible to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party and claim diminished earning capacity. Expect the ICBC, which covers the other driver, to mount a vigorous defence. To prevail in such a case, it is critical to establish that the injuries and subsequent impairment will result in future loss of income. The Court also takes into account whether the person can work in any other field and how long the individual might have worked before retiring.

Contact a Vancouver ICBC lawyer

If you are self-employed and suffered injuries due to another party’s negligence, an experienced lawyer at Preszler Injury Law can help determine the calculation of your lost wages and represent you in dealings with the ICBC. We can also discuss whether your situation may warrant a claim of diminished earning capacity.

To arrange a free consultation, call us 24/7 or contact us online. Our lawyers have represented negligence victims since 1959, and our record speaks for itself. There is never a fee unless we win.

Connect With Our Legal Team

Schedule a call with our personal injury legal intake team. Our team is available 24/7 so call us now to book your call. Our scheduled intake allows you to tell us details about your accident and gives our legal team an opportunity to review your case and advise you on possible solutions and outcomes. The best part is, if you decide to hire us after this call - you don't pay anything unless we win. We can help clients regardless of where they reside in British Columbia so let us help you get started on your road to recovery.


1321 Blanshard Street
Suite 301,
Victoria, BC
V8W 0B6
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
4720 Kingsway
Suite 2600,
Burnaby, BC
V6E 3C9
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
5811 Cooney Road
Suite 305 South Tower,
Richmond, BC
V6X 3M1
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
7164 120th Street
Suite 202,
Surrey, BC
V3W 3M8
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
1631 Dickson Avenue
Suite 1100,
Kelowna, BC
V1Y 0B5
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
1075 West Georgia Street
Unit 825,
Vancouver, BC
V6E 3C9
Fax: 778-373-8213
Toll Free: 1-877-572-1324
*These are consultation offices that require a booked meeting in advance. Walk-ins are not allowed.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that the header image and other images throughout this website may include both lawyer and non-lawyer/paralegal employees of Preszler Injury Lawyers and unrelated third parties. Please note that the purpose of this disclaimer is to ensure that the usage of our spokesperson, John Fraser, or any other non-lawyer/paralegals in our legal marketing is not to be construed in any way as misleading to the public. Any questions regarding the usage of non-lawyers in our legal marketing or otherwise can be directed to management. Please also note that past results are not indicative of future results and that each case is unique and that case results listed on site are from experiences across Canada and are not specific to any province. Please be advised that some of the content on this website may be out of date. None of the content is intended to act as legal advice as each situation is independent and unique and requires individual legal advice from a licensed lawyer or paralegal. For legal advice on your individual situation – we can provide legal guidance after you have contacted our firm and we have established a lawyer-client relationship contractually. Please note that some of the content on this website may be out of date and no longer relevant after May 2021. For additional clarification on legal questions please contact our law firm and book a consultation with a member of our legal team.