Richmond Dog Bite Lawyer
Dogs bite for various reasons. They might be ill, have been mistreated, feel threatened, or be overly protective of their toys, food, or space. Whatever the cause, the law stipulates that victims can hold owners liable for their dogs’ actions.
A dog attack can result in serious and disfiguring injuries. Injuries on the face, neck, arms, and legs are most common, as are psychological and emotional injuries.
If you or your family member was attacked by a dog in Richmond, call Preszler Injury Lawyers to learn about your legal options. The call is free. Our dog bite lawyers can assess your case and explain how to file a liability claim so you can recover compensation for your losses. Contact us today at 1-844-373-8202.
How dog bite liability laws work in Richmond?
In British Columbia, there are two theories under which you can hold a dog owner legally liable for your damages:
- Dangerous propensity: If the dog had a history of aggression and the owner knew or should have reasonably known about it, then you can pursue a claim against the owner. A dog may qualify “dangerous” if it had bitten or attempted to bite in the past, had chased people or other animals, or had a reputation for being aggressive.
- Owner’s negligence: In cases where the dog has no history of aggression (at least that you can prove), you can still pursue a claim if you can show that the attack would not have occurred had it not been for the owner’s negligence. For example, if the owner had a broken fence through which the dog escaped, he might be considered negligent.
If either of the above are true in your case, then you have the right to file an injury claim to pursue restitution. The legal team at Preszler Injury Lawyers will investigate your accident to determine which theory you can file under.
Should I hire a dog bite lawyer to help with my case?
Most dog attack victims are not fully aware of their rights or of the damages that they can recover. Dog bite lawyers understand the ins and outs of dangerous dog liability cases and how to prove them to insurance companies or courts. They know how to negotiate for larger settlements and how to resolve cases quicker and in their clients’ favor.
When you enlist the help of Preszler Injury Lawyers, we will work to:
- Determine liability and which insurance company to file a claim with.
- Collect the evidence necessary to prove either the dog’s dangerous propensities or the owner’s negligence, as well as to prove the extent of your damages.
- Work directly with the insurer so you do not have to worry about dealing with the dog owner. This is especially helpful if the owner is a neighbor or relative.
- Calculate the total value of your case and ensure you receive compensation not just for physical and financial losses, but for emotional harms as well.
- Take the case to court, if need be, and represent your best interests.
What types of damages can I collect?
If you win your claim, all of your current and future losses related to the attack should be compensable. Typically, it is the dog owner’s home or renter’s insurance company that will pay your settlement or award.
Below are just some of the losses you can recover:
- Pain and suffering, including for scarring.
- Hospitalization, reconstructive surgeries, prescriptions, and other forms of treatment, etc.
- Therapy and counseling.
- Out-of-pocket expenses.
- Loss of wages or income, loss of promotion, loss of benefits.
Is there a deadline for filing a dog bite injury claim in Richmond?
You have two years from the date of the attack to file your dog bite claim. It is better to start sooner rather than later so the evidence can be preserved. You will want to begin collecting pertinent evidence about the attack, as well as all of your injury-related bills and receipts, as soon as possible. Take pictures of your injuries and any scarring.
Failure to take action within the two-year time limit will void your rights to compensation. Speak with a lawyer as soon as you are able so he can begin investigating and preparing your case.
Consult a dog bite lawyer in Richmond at no charge.
At Preszler Injury Lawyers, we don’t get paid, unless we win your case. When you use our services, you do not have any upfront, out-of-pocket fees to be concerned with. We believe all injured victims in Richmond deserve legal counsel for their injury cases, regardless of their financial situation.
Our dog bite lawyer in Richmond will work diligently on your behalf to get the restitution you deserve. Call our office today at 1-844-373-8202 for a free consultation.