Burnaby Dog Bite Lawyer
Millions of North Americans keep dogs as companions. Most of these dogs never cause any harm to humans but some do.
Dog owners in Burnaby and throughout the province have a responsibility to ensure their dogs do not cause harm to people. If you or your child has been attacked by a dog, you might be able to recover damages for your losses.
Preszler Injury Lawyers can help. We have been helping dog bite victims for 55 years. Call us today at 1-844-373-8202 for a free consultation.
Can I seek compensation from the dog owner?
Local and provincial laws provide that injured dog bite victims can pursue compensation for their injuries from the dog owner if certain elements apply.
You might have a valid claim if the following are true:
- You were rightfully on the property on which you were attacked, i.e., you were not trespassing.
- You did not provoke the dog to attack.
- You can prove one of the following: A) the dog had a history of being dangerous and the owner knew about it, or B) the owner’s negligence caused or contributed to the attack, such as forgetting to latch his gate.
- You were actually harmed. Being frightened but not physically harmed is not enough to merit a claim.
Find out if you are eligible to file a claim and collect a settlement. Call 1-844-373-8202 for a free case evaluation.
What if the dog owner is a friend or family member?
Many victims do not want to pursue a dog bite case because the dog owner is a neighbor, friend, or family member. But it is important to understand how these types of cases work. Typically, you pursue damages from an insurance company, not from the owner directly.
When you work with a lawyer at Preszler Injury Lawyers, we handle the entire claim and all of the correspondence with the insurance company on your behalf. You will not even have to speak to the dog owner about the issue, if you do not want to.
Why should I have Preszler Injury Lawyers help with my dog bite claim?
Preszler Injury Lawyers has been around for almost 60 years. We know the ins and outs of dog bite laws and how to maximize your compensation. Our staff truly cares about your well-being and wants to ensure your needs are taken care of.
When you enlist our help, we will relieve your burden of handling the confusing and stressful legal aspects of your claim. We can examine your case, determine liability, gather evidence, file the claim, and negotiate with the insurer on your behalf.
What types of damages can I collect?
Serious dog bite injuries can mean expensive medical and rehabilitation bills, lost wages, and other incidental damages, not to mention psychological harms. Fortunately, you may be eligible to collect compensation for your losses.
There are two types of damages to which you may be entitled:
- Pecuniary: This includes all actual expenses, such as your medical bills, reconstructive surgeries, loss of wages and job benefits, therapy expenses, medications, transportation expenses for your treatments, and any other miscellaneous injury-related expenses.
- Non-Pecuniary: You can also collect compensation for your pain, emotional and psychological damages, such as the effect of disfigurement on your self-esteem.
It is a good idea to have a lawyer calculate the value of your claim before you agree to a settlement with an insurance company.
Call for a FREE, no-obligation consult with a dog bite lawyer in Burnaby.
There is a statutory time limit on when you are permitted to file a claim, so you will want to take action as soon as possible. To discuss your legal options with a dog bite lawyer in Burnaby, free of charge, contact Preszler Injury Lawyers today. We offer legal counsel and representation on a contingency basis, which means you do not pay us unless we win your case.
Call us at 1-844-373-8202 to get started.