Truck Accident Lawyer in Burnaby
When a semi truck, 18-wheeler or commercial vehicle collides with a passenger car, the outcome is often devastating. Each year, there is an average of 12,000 accidents involving heavy vehicles in British Columbia, 8,500 of which occur on the Lower Mainland, according to ICBC.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in an accident with a truck, we invite you to meet with one of our Burnaby truck accident lawyers today at no cost. For over 55 years, Preszler Injury Lawyers has been helping accident victims hold negligent parties accountable for the harm they cause. We have successfully settled thousands of injury cases and secured millions of dollars for our clients. We hope we can help you too. Call 1-844-373-8202 to schedule your free case review.
How do I know if I have a valid truck accident claim?
The best way to learn whether or not you have a case worth pursuing is to meet with a truck accident lawyer in Burnaby. An experienced lawyer at Preszler Injury Lawyers will ask to hear your story and give you their honest opinion about the viability of your case. In a successful truck accident claim, we will prove the truck driver acted negligently or recklessly, which resulted in your accident and injuries.
While many variables can lead to accidents, truck drivers expose those who share the roads with them to an added layer or risk. Given the size and weight of a tractor-trailer, one misstep on behalf of its driver can cause a world of trouble. Below are some examples of negligence:
- The truck driver was insufficiently trained or had a bad driving record.
- The truck was in disrepair or improperly loaded.
- The truck driver was not paying proper attention or was distracted.
- The truck driver was fatigued, fell asleep at the wheel, or was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- The truck driver was speeding, tailgating, performed improper maneuvers, or otherwise breaking the rules of the road.
Are there any steps I should take to protect my claim?
There are several things you can do after the accident to help your case:
- Get information from the truck driver, including their name, the name of the truck owner, their license plate number and driver’s license number.
- Gather evidence that can help prove the other party’s fault, such as a copy of the police report and witnesses’ contact information.
- Keep a medical journal with detailed notes of your expenses and important details of your injuries and income loss.
- Consult an experienced truck accident lawyer in Burnaby before filing a claim or accepting a settlement offer from the insurance company. A lawyer can ensure you are treated fairly throughout the process and receive the maximum compensation allowable under the law.
How can a Burnaby truck accident lawyer help me?
Trucking companies and truck drivers have a lot to lose when facing a lawsuit because it can affect their livelihood. The insurance carrier may deny, undervalue, and delay the victim’s claim.
Our truck accident lawyers can level the playing field for you. Our ability to navigate the complexities of personal injury law can significantly improve your chances of being awarded maximum compensation for your damages.
As your legal counsel, we manage every aspect of your claim including communicating with the insurance company directly. We take the necessary steps to protect your rights, gather and preserve important evidence to support your claim, and fight to ensure you receive fair compensation.
Furthermore, if needed, your truck accident lawyer in Burnaby can obtain reports from medical and vocational experts to get a clear estimate of the full value of your claim.
What types of damages can I recover with my claim?
You may be entitled to damages for various losses relating to your truck accident, including but not limited to:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses.
- Loss of wages, loss of earning capacity, and loss of future income.
- Loss of housekeeping capacity.
- Loss of future care.
- Out of pocket expenses.
- Pain and suffering.
Is there a time limit on filing a truck accident claim in Burnaby?
You generally have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action. While two years may seem like a long time, there may be delays or red tape along the way, so it is wise to get started right away. Failure to file a claim within the allotted time will nullify your rights to damages. Additionally, you want to assemble the evidence needed to support your claim while it is fresh and unaltered.
Speak to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Burnaby for Free
If you or a loved one suffered harm in a truck accident in Burnaby, we encourage you to contact Preszler Injury Lawyers at 1-844-373-8202 to schedule a time to meet with a lawyer about your case. Your initial meeting is free, and you are under no obligation to hire us. During your free consultation, we will also explain your legal options and give you an outline what you can expect during the claims process.